Please join MSA for a presentation by Enid Zafran, Customer
Relations for Indexers. Check the Chapter Meetings page for details!
MSA has joined forces with neighboring ASI chapters to present a two-day educational meeting to be held at the Arch Street Meeting House in Philadelphia, PA. Stay tuned for details!
The current issue of The Atlantic Indexer is now available. If you’re not getting it by email and you want to, please let Meghan know — email@example.com.
It’s nomination time! I’m looking for nominations (or volunteers) for our upcoming chapter elections. Our profession is a service industry — not just in the nature of the work we provide, but also the nature of our interaction with each other. I am confident each of us has received help to fellow indexers over the course of our careers, and working on behalf of the chapter is a way to give a little back.
Elections will be held in June, with the terms of office beginning July 1. The two offices open are Chair-Elect and Secretary-Treasurer. Chair-Elect has a term of one year, while Secretary-Treasurer is a combined position with a term of 3 years.
I hope you’ll consider volunteering to serve MSA. We’re a fortunate chapter with a wealth of talent, and can be a wonderful resource for your career. The current Chair-Elect is Judy McConville, who will be stepping into the Chair position in July and has some exciting ideas for leading the chapter.
The current Secretary is Estalita Slivoskey and the current Treasurer is Kay Schlembach. These two positions will be combined from this election forward, as approved by the membership in last spring’s ballot.
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering, or if you have a nomination to pass along. This is an excellent opportunity for newer indexers to become involved in the community and make lasting connections!
The officer duties are:
- The Chair-Elect shall perform the following duties:
- Preside, in the absence of the Chair, at all meetings of the Chapter, the Executive Committee, and Board of Directors.
- Become Chair for the unexpired term in case of death, resignation or incapacity of the Chair.
- Serve in such capacities as assigned by the Chair.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall perform the following duties:
- Take and record accurate minutes of the proceedings of all meetings of the Chapter, Executive Committee, and Board of Directors.
- Preserve in a permanent file all records and letters of value to the Chapter and its officers.
- Send out a ballot or notification of electronic ballot for annual election of officers.
- Have charge of all monies of the Chapter and report thereon at all meetings.
- Apply for and receive the per member allotment of the local Chapter from the Treasurer of ASI for activities on the local level.
- Upon written or electronic authorization by the Chair, request payment of bills by ASI or its representative from Chapter funds.
- Keep an itemized record, in a permanent file, of all receipts and expenditures.
- Deliver, within 2 weeks after expiration of term of office, all books, records, and papers to the newly elected Secretary-Treasurer, requesting a receipt thereof.
The full description of the positions can be found in the current bylaws, here: http://www.msasindexing.org/american-society-for-indexing-mid-south-atlantic-chapter-chapter-bylaws/
Please join the Mid- and South-Atlantic Chapter of ASI for a networking luncheon at 12:30 p.m. on March 28, 2015 in Pittsburgh, PA
We’ll be getting together at the Sonoma Grille at 947 Penn Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh. Situated in the cultural district and next door to the Marriot Courtyard Hotel, the Sonoma is a West Coast kitchen and wine bar. This is an informal lunch without a set agenda. Each attendee is responsible for his or her lunch cost. Several events and meetings are happening in Pittsburgh that weekend, so you might want to extend your stay in the city. The American Copy Editors are holding their annual meeting at the Wyndham Grand Hotel and the Society for Applied Anthropology is meeting at the Omni William Penn. For those interested in fiber arts, the Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival is happening around the corner from the restaurant at the Westin Convention Center and the Three Rivers Quilters are holding their annual show at the Circuit Center on Pittsburgh’s South Side.
The Sonoma Grille is located 0.2 miles from the Amtrak, Greyhound and Port Authority light rail subway stations. Valet parking is available and public parking garages are nearby.
Please contact Judy McConville at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-813-0693 with questions and to reserve your spot.
Welcome to the Mid- and South-Atlantic Chapter of the American Society for Indexing
We welcome indexers from District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, and Pennsylvania.