It’s nomination time! I’m looking for nominations (or volunteers) for our upcoming chapter elections. Our profession is a service industry — not just in the nature of the work we provide, but also the nature of our interaction with each other. I am confident each of us has received help to fellow indexers over the course of our careers, and working on behalf of the chapter is a way to give a little back.
Elections will be held in June, with the terms of office beginning July 1. The two offices open are Chair-Elect and Secretary-Treasurer. Chair-Elect has a term of one year, while Secretary-Treasurer is a combined position with a term of 3 years.
I hope you’ll consider volunteering to serve MSA. We’re a fortunate chapter with a wealth of talent, and can be a wonderful resource for your career. The current Chair-Elect is Judy McConville, who will be stepping into the Chair position in July and has some exciting ideas for leading the chapter.
The current Secretary is Estalita Slivoskey and the current Treasurer is Kay Schlembach. These two positions will be combined from this election forward, as approved by the membership in last spring’s ballot.
Please email me at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering, or if you have a nomination to pass along. This is an excellent opportunity for newer indexers to become involved in the community and make lasting connections!
The officer duties are:
- The Chair-Elect shall perform the following duties:
- Preside, in the absence of the Chair, at all meetings of the Chapter, the Executive Committee, and Board of Directors.
- Become Chair for the unexpired term in case of death, resignation or incapacity of the Chair.
- Serve in such capacities as assigned by the Chair.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall perform the following duties:
- Take and record accurate minutes of the proceedings of all meetings of the Chapter, Executive Committee, and Board of Directors.
- Preserve in a permanent file all records and letters of value to the Chapter and its officers.
- Send out a ballot or notification of electronic ballot for annual election of officers.
- Have charge of all monies of the Chapter and report thereon at all meetings.
- Apply for and receive the per member allotment of the local Chapter from the Treasurer of ASI for activities on the local level.
- Upon written or electronic authorization by the Chair, request payment of bills by ASI or its representative from Chapter funds.
- Keep an itemized record, in a permanent file, of all receipts and expenditures.
- Deliver, within 2 weeks after expiration of term of office, all books, records, and papers to the newly elected Secretary-Treasurer, requesting a receipt thereof.
The full description of the positions can be found in the current bylaws, here: http://www.msasindexing.org/american-society-for-indexing-mid-south-atlantic-chapter-chapter-bylaws/